Friday, October 26, 2012

"Where there is unity, there is strength"


The concept of your two worlds colliding might make most nervous, but for me it was a fantastic experience that brought a huge smile to my face.  On Friday, Oct 19th my worlds collided as UNC Charlotte's National Pan Hellenic Council came to volunteer at our Promising Pages warehouse.  The NPHC is composed of the 9 historically black Greek fraternities and sororities, and their mission is to work together and consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations. As a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. I have been able to see all the great work that they do on my campus as well as in the Charlotte community so I had no question that working with them would be nothing less than a success. The volunteer activity was a part of their NPHC week and launched our first event together through our new partnership. Frederick Kenley, the president of UNCC's NPHC said, "It was truly a humbling experience that took many of us back to our childhood for about 3 hours.  We definitely cannot wait to continue our partnership with Promising Pages by supporting their mission." 

The council supported us in a major way as they helped to organize the thousands of adult books that we had in the warehouse.  These are the same books that we will be selling at our Promising Pages book drive December 1st and 2nd.  The money that we raise at this drive will go towards operating costs, and eventually to our dream book mobile that we are hoping to add to our Promising Pages arsenal.

I've always believed that friends that work together can accomplish amazing things, and I look forward to seeing all the great things that my friends will do for Promising Pages.  This event was a way for those that I see every day on campus to get a glimpse at something that I have a passion for. We're all familiar with the saying that "it takes a village to raise a child," but I also believe that it takes a community to achieve change. Together we will push Promising Pages to new heights. 


Have a great and blessed weekend!

Sandrine Uwera

No comments:

Post a Comment