Monday, April 22, 2013

A year and counting...

Through the helpful hands of  HANDS ON CHARLOTTE, Nicole Pulliam discovered Promising Pages in March 2012 and has since been a vital part of the organization. Promising pages shared a similar philosophy as Ms. Pulliam is a former middle school teacher and junior college instructor.
 
"Volunteering has always been a part of my life and since I am an optimistic person I like to encourage children, as well as adults that they can achieve their dreams and/or their endeavors through diligence, determination, persistence, positive outlook, and ambition," said Nicole.  "Outside of volunteering with non-profits, my family and I donate warm meals and beverages to the homeless. During the Christmas holidays. I enjoy giving back to my community by donating my time and efforts to help people and children succeed. Success is not always easy, but through shear will and drive it can be accomplished. It is these philosophies that motivates me to donate my time to Promising Pages."



Nicole says her experience volunteering with Promising Pages has been a very rewarding and productive. She was so please Founder/Executive Director, Kristina Cruise acknowledged that there was a problem with our youth that needed to be brought to the forefront, addressed and tackled.  The fact that so many children have few, if any books at home, and how that can hinder their overall development is something that is not being talked about enough.

Nicole serves as our CAM (Crisis Assistance Ministry) Outreach Coordinator. Each week she helps lead a team of interns and volunteers to distribute our wrapped "presents" via our Promising Pages' Mascot(s) Erma The Bookworma or Erm The Bookworm. "I can personally attest to the impact and the lasting impressions that the interns, volunteers, and the mascots have left on the children, as well as, their parents and/or guardians'. The children and their loved ones are appreciative of the gesture of giving. Some parents ask me how they or their children can volunteer, while others ask how they can get access to additional books and reading resources for their children, and others also ask how they can donate their books to Promising Pages."

Nicole adds it not just about giving books to the children we serve, but about helping mold future visionaries social entrepreneurs that will on day impact our community in their own unique ways. "I have utterly enjoyed working with the high school volunteers and college interns who will be the next line of future leaders to take our place in society. I believe that is fantastic that these young people within our Charlotte community are starting at an early age to know the value of volunteering. I am delighted to work with and be apart of the Promising Pages' team comprised of these amazing individuals, as well as, the great work that they accomplish."

"I would like to personally thank Kristina for bringing me on board and nothing would be complete with properly thanking Marcel Solomon at Hands On Charlotte for allowing me the opportunity to volunteer with Promising Pages."

Thank you Nicole for all that you do for Promising Pages. Happy anniversary!

#welovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment